Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Weekend In Paris

The Book:  Weekend in Paris by Robyn Sisman

Summary (taken from book cover):
Small-town girl Molly Clearwater moved to London to follow her dream of a fun and fashionable city life.  Everything seems to be coming up roses when her boss offers her a perk: a free weekend trip to Paris.  Molly's ecstatic until she discovers her boss's idea of "business," and she impulsively decides to bard a rain to Paris on her own.

Within moments of stepping onto the cobblestoned streets of Paris and making her first friend at her auberge, Molly is swept up in adventure.  From infiltrating her boss's business conference in disguise to touring the midnight city on the back of a handsome stranger's motorbike, Molly find her weekend away from her troubles turning into a voyage of passion and self-discovery that will change her life forever.

What I Thought: 
Mom and I decided to read a "light" book together during our vacation last month, but this proved to be a difficult task.  Finally we settled on Weekend in Paris.  Within about 20 pages, we both realized our mistake.  It did prove to be a very light read, but it failed to keep (or ever get, for that matter) my attention.  I had higher expectations for this book with glowing reviews printed on both covers from some of my favorite authors, but I found I disagreed with their praise comparing the main character to Elle Woods and Bridget Jones.  I found Molly to be a very shallow character, changing her opinions and self images on the whimsical reactions to the surrounding characters.  Beyond that, most of the plot was driven by coincidences so unrealistic I found myself actually rolling my eyes while reading.  Now, I'm a fan of cheesy, predictable, rom-com style, but I just found this book was trying for something that never quite worked out.  I doubt I will read anymore from this author.

Rating:  2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment